The "lather-up" phase: Why you should avoid gels and foams?
At first, let me tell you what are the thing to consider when choosing a products:
- The product need to leave the skin wet and to allow the wetness to stay
- The product should not content menthol or benzocaine. These ingredients desensitize the skin (Hence, you are less able to choose the right amount of pressure to guide your razor) and closes the pores.
- Avoid unneeded ingredients: alcohol, preservatives, dyes, toxic gases (Isobutane and propane): Gels and Foams are full of these.
- The product should be easy to use.
- The product should not stay on your face after cleansing and should leave a positive feeling after shave.
Ok, now that you get it right: Why should you avoid gels and foams?
Foams were introduced in the early forties and get immediately an immense success. It became suddenly extremely easy to obtain foam and lather up the skin. Gels were developed as a new generation product, to answer to the need of consumers to get at least some pampering. But, consider the following:
- By essence, foam desiccates the hair: indeed, foam “attract” the wetness of the hair (see pre-shave products), especially the foams made without usage of water: the foam coming from cans. If the hair is dry, it will be more difficult for the blades to enter in it.
- Of course, foam desiccates the skin also: As an impact, the razor head will glide not so easily
- Consequence of the above: your blades will wear out more rapidly! I will try to find electronic microscope photograph for you. Difficult to find (I lost them) but amazing!
- Gels and Foams contain preservatives, dyes. Some contains Menthol and/or Benzocaine (Yes: the famous Italian brand do offers a shaving cream with menthol. Avoid it).
- The propellants of foams and gels are unhealthy and even, sometimes, toxic gases! Realize that the BUBBLES of the foams are made of isobutane or propane, instead of AIR (A foam obtained by yourself with soap is made of air). Hence, you put toxic gases in contact with your skin…
- Last but not least, due to the fact that they are conserved in cans, gels and foams are polluting products…
Did I forget one reason why you should avoid gels and foams? Maybe. Maybe not. What is sure is that you know enough to quit shaving with foams or gels r to stay away from these products.
Next time, I will discuss shaving soaps and shaving creams.
Keep on shaving and enjoy “The Pleasure of Shaving”